Much of America’s population is getting dumber and dumber every year. I can safely confirm this for several reasons:
- Test difficulty. While standardized tests tend to vary somewhat in difficulty, they’re generally getting easier and easier. Even the SAT has been dumbed down (though I’m not complaining). In NY, the Math A and Math B curricula are being phased out in favor of an easier, simplified math curriculum. Many teens are getting dumber, and the officials are easing requirements to make the numbers look satisfactory.
- TV. Many TV shows are getting dumber and dumber. The shows on MTV are a good example of this trend. Kid’s shows are also getting dumber and more pointless.
- Music is generally getting dumber. See argument in next section.
- The newspapers are being written in 4th grade English, with large amounts of pictures and very few words.
Music is getting worse
Music is going downhill these days as well. What most kids nowadays listen to consists of one or more of the below:
- Artificially generated, repetitive beats
- Talking, rapping, computer-enhanced singing, etc.
- Pointless, repetitive, unoriginal lyrics (rap, pop)
Instrumental and/or vocal talent is clearly not needed to be a popular musician these days. The computer does all the work these days, making even the most off-key singers sound like opera masters. The music itself is no better. Any 16-year old with a copy of FL Studio can make a hit song nowadays (not going to point any fingers). Techno these days sounds like passing a corrupted music file through a 28k internet connection. Rock is in no better shape, though. There are the obvious offenders, like Paramore and The Jonas Brothers, who play boring, uninspired riffs over and over again.
Move to DTV already!
Even though Obama wants to push back the official DTV transition date, I still think the cutoff date should be February 17, 2009, instead of sometime in June. Sweden’s already switched completely, and they did it all the way in 2007. Know why they could do that? It’s because their country isn’t full of blithering, techno-phobic idiots. Who cares if some people’s TV’s stop working? Let it be a punishment for their stupidty and ignorance.
The fake, commercial holiday known as Valentine’s® Day® is on Saturday this year. It’s really a pointless holiday, in which people buy each other useless, overpriced gifts.
In other news, I’m feeling a lot better today, and I still don’t have gym class. I went to the Guidance Suite today during my free period. The secretary told me to come back after school, at 2:45pm. When I came back after school, I waited for about half an hour until 3:15pm, and then everybody got kicked out of the office, with the secretary saying “Come back tomorrow.” I hate dealing with school administration…