I have been wondering recently about setting up a server. The advantages:
1) It’s cheaper than hosting.
2) More uptime.
3) Easier management and site updating.
4) Being able to do what I want, when I want.
5) Did I mention it’s cheaper?
1) Cable/Fiber-Optic isn’t too cheap…
2) Having direct access may only lead to problems, with my constant OS modding.
3) No backups, and the machine still wouldn’t be as fast as a professional server.
I’ve done a little research, and found out that any computer can be a server. All I’d have to install would be Ubuntu Server Edition, which handles Apache, PHP, mySQL, and all the other server configuration.
Also, I’ve noticed that many professional illustrators/artists have Wacom Cinitqs. At $2500 dollars for the 20-inch version, and $999 for the 12 inch version, the prices are kind of steep. Once I save up enough money, that will definitely be my next major computer purchase.
As I mentioned before, I’ve got the proxy running. Seeing as the hosts would delete my account if I overloaded their servers, I’ll have to keep the proxy private, with password protection. Maybe when I get a dedicated server, I’ll open it to the public.