Monthly Archives: February 2008
Reformatting my old computer sure was fun… I installed SP2, but my sound card was “rejected” by SP2, so I had to uninstall SP2. So I just wasted a whole bunch of time. I redid the site… again. This layout should last much longer, so I’ll have more time on the comic. Maybe I’ll reach the 50th comic by June or July.
Speaking of the weather, it’s been pretty screwed up lately. Last week, it snowed a little, but then ice and rain came, and it all melted. It’s snowing quite a lot right now, too. That’s just the messed up weather in NY. One day it’s 65°F, then the next day, it’s freezing cold and snowing buckets. Shoveling snow.. the greatest joy of all…
I have been wondering recently about setting up a server. The advantages:
1) It’s cheaper than hosting.
2) More uptime.
3) Easier management and site updating.
4) Being able to do what I want, when I want.
5) Did I mention it’s cheaper?
1) Cable/Fiber-Optic isn’t too cheap…
2) Having direct access may only lead to problems, with my constant OS modding.
3) No backups, and the machine still wouldn’t be as fast as a professional server.
I’ve done a little research, and found out that any computer can be a server. All I’d have to install would be Ubuntu Server Edition, which handles Apache, PHP, mySQL, and all the other server configuration.
Also, I’ve noticed that many professional illustrators/artists have Wacom Cinitqs. At $2500 dollars for the 20-inch version, and $999 for the 12 inch version, the prices are kind of steep. Once I save up enough money, that will definitely be my next major computer purchase.
As I mentioned before, I’ve got the proxy running. Seeing as the hosts would delete my account if I overloaded their servers, I’ll have to keep the proxy private, with password protection. Maybe when I get a dedicated server, I’ll open it to the public.
I failed English class. Yay. If I cared, I’d be depressed, but I stopped stressing about school a long time ago. It’s a news semester, though, and I finally have Photoshop class.
The good news is that I’ve bypassed the corporate filters installed in most schools. It was rather simple, though. I made a proxy, but proxies are blocked by the filters. I took a look at some of the blocked proxies, and I realized that they had “proxy” written all over the page. The filters scan words, so as soon as they see “proxy” on the page, they block it. I’ve figured out a way around this. On my proxy, the word proxy does not appear in text form. All of the information is in an image, which the filters cannot read as of yet. I’ve tested it, and it works. I can’t give the URL for it yet, because it’s still in alpha, and I have make sure that it won’t overload my server. The site’s also rather messed up looking for now, because I’m trying to make it look better. I’ve noticed that updating the progress bars was a chore, so I deleted them. Instead of bars, I put my Twitter feed there, which is much easier to update, as I don’t even have to log into my server. I’m considering getting my own server, then I’d have a much easier time updating the site, and it would be cheaper, too.